JOB DESCRIPTION: Analyzes historical accounting data and other information to make projections which will aid management in short- and long-range financial planning. Coordinates action necessary to correct account balances and maintain proper accounting controls and procedures. Assists in year-end audits and in ensuring the accuracy of accounting data. Analyzes financial statements and prepares and analyzes financial reports to represent current and projected financial status. Projects future trends and prepares long-range operational forecasts and cash flow analysis. May assist in preparing, developing and monitoring budgets. May perform indirect cost analysis. Performs related responsibilities as required.
BACKGROUND: The Task Force for Global Health is an Emory University affiliate located in Decatur, GA. Its eight programs focus on building durable public health systems that serve all people. Focus areas include neglected tropical diseases, vaccines, and health systems strengthening. The Task Force received the 2016 Conrad N. Hilton Humanitarian Prize–the world's largest award of its kind–in recognition of its extraordinary contributions to alleviating human suffering.
Based at the Task Force for Global Health in Decatur, GA, and affiliated with Emory University, the Neglected Tropical Diseases Support Center (NTD-SC) aims to optimize operational research to eliminate neglected tropical diseases which threaten the lives and well-being of millions of people in some of the world’s most marginalized communities. This work, conducted in close coordination with partners, addresses challenges facing each phase of the programs targeting the Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs): effectively scaling up to reach those at risk, successfully scaling down when their goals are reached, and finally sustaining the reductions achieved in disease prevalence.
The Financial Analysts serves as the financial expert for USAID funding and other private funding sources. The Neglected Tropical Diseases Support Center (NTD-SC) supports operational research on shared issues confronting 5 diseases with funding from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and USAID. The Financial Analyst will play a vital role in our collaborative work by supporting the financial operations of this $68 million Gates Foundation and USAID grants, including overseeing and tracking all financial transactions for the NTD Support Center:
- Responsible for ensuring that the accounting, budgeting, and financial analysis functions are operating effectively and efficiently
- Explain to Non-US partner organizations the requirements, policies and procedures, negotiation terms and grant procedures of USAID grants
- Participate in pre-award reviews and assessments
- Ensure compliance with USAID audit requirements for all contracts, grants, and cooperative agreements and prepares and executes the annual audit management plan
- Keeps the Directors informed of significant issues related to planning, implementing and monitoring of programs and activities of the grant/s
- Develops audit and assessment scopes of work for USAID funded programs and activities and plays a key role in planning and conducting audits and assessments.
- Prepares required monthly/quarterly and ad hoc financial reports related to USAID funds and other grants
- Prepares quarterly accruals and reviews closeout documents to ensure that finance-related closeout actions such as completion of required audits and payment of final claims and de-obligation of excess funds are properly carried out, if necessary
- Verifies compliance with agreement terms and conditions and allowable actual costs
- Assesses prospective recipients’ administrative and institutional abilities to implement program/activities
- Determines appropriateness and effectiveness of prospective recipients’ operation procedures and cash management practices.
- With the Directors and Senior Financial Analyst, prepares budgets and budget modifications for the NTD-SC’s grants
- Assists Senior Financial Analyst in the preparation of monthly financial reports for program use and periodic financial reports for external (donor) reporting
- Tracks payments toward all sub-contracts and consulting agreements with continuous updates Monitors revenues and expenses and advises management team of significant variances in budgets including cash flow, under- and over-spending patterns
- Analyzes past and current data and prepares expense and revenue forecasts
- Assists with the development and tracking of the NTD-SC’s sub-contracts and consulting agreements
- Tracks payments toward all sub-contracts and consulting agreements with continuous updates
- Evaluates financial reporting on all sub-contracts, identifies deficits or problem areas, and makes recommendations for appropriate corrective actions
- Reviews and processes travel reimbursement requests
- Reviews and processes for payment vendor and consulting invoices and enters them into the Financial Edge Accounts Payable system
- Prepares, sends, tracks, and follows up on invoices for contract work by the NTD-SC’s Research Computing Division and tracks them in the Financial Edge Accounts Receivable system
- Processes monthly credit card statements for NTD-SC team members
- Calculates, prepares, and tracks per diem requests to Task Force finance department for payment to meeting participants
- Prepares and maintains time and attendance records and payroll allocations
TRAVEL: 5% or less domestic & international
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor's degree in accounting, business management, finance or a related field and four years of financial analysis or accounting experience, OR equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
- Master's degree in accounting, business management, finance or a related field
- Familiarity with US Government entities in general and USAID in particular is desired. A thorough knowledge of the USAID activity design, development, implementation, revaluation and closeout processes
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards (GASB).
- Experience working in the international arena
- Experience in Fund Accounting
- Accomplished MS Excel user
- Knowledge of Blackbaud’s Financial Edge software